The Camden Eco Champion Awards have been created to celebrate the residents of our Borough who go above and beyond to protect our environment.
The Camden Eco Champion Awards is a competition that aims to highlight those that are committed to creating positive change, and show that any initiative, however small or large, should be rewarded and celebrated. Our hope is to inspire the next generation of eco-conscious citizens, by giving them the confidence to engage with environmental issues and use their voices to kickstart change.
How does it work?
The idea behind the Camden Eco Champio Awards is that anybody can nominate anybody! If you have a friend, family member, colleague, neighbour, or teacher that you think is an Eco CHampio and should be rewarded for their work then you can nominate for an Eco Champion Award.
All nominations will then be marked by a panel of judges to determine the top three eco champions for each of our categories; Mini Warriors (ages 5-11), Junior Heroes (ages 12-17), and Local Leaders (ages 18+).
Finalists will be invited to an awards ceremony where we will announce 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in each category, and give out a range of fantastic prizes.
The next edition of the awards will open in the autumn of 2022. In the meantime, why not get involved with some eco work now, and who knows, maybe you’ll get a nomination! Here are some examples to get you thinking:
MINI WARRIORS (Aged 5 to 11):
- Started a recycling project.
- Reduced food waste by starting a compost or gardening project.
- Convinced others to give up single-use plastics.
- Collected rubbish from a public space.
- Encouraged wildlife by building a bug hotel or planting some wildflowers.
- Built a wormery with recycled materials.
JUNIOR HEROES (Aged 12 to 17):
- Hosted a talk about Fast Fashion or sustainable travel at school.
- Set up an eco-quiz to fundraise.
- Created an eco-group at your school.
- Started a meat-free Monday movement.
- Collected rubbish from a public space in your free time.
- Campaigned against idling.
- Reduced the use of plastic at your home or at school.
LOCAL LEADERS (Aged 18+):
- Actively took part in petitions and engage with local government-sponsored eco-work.
- Campaigned for Healthy School Streets or Low Traffic Neighbourhoods in your area.
- Promoted sustainable travel by starting a walking bus covering your child/children’s school(s).
- Requested more cycle lanes, parklets, and other sustainable infrastructure.
In 2021, we held the first edition of The Camden Eco Champion Awards and they were a huge success. We had a staggering number of nominations and learned all about the amazing people in our Borough.
The applicants were judged by a panel of independent judges responsible for selecting 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place within each category. During the 2021 edition our judges were:
The three finalists for each category were awarded their prizes at a special ceremony at the Roundhouse Bar& Cafe on Saturday 04 Decmeber. The winners were:
MINI WARRIORS (AGES 5 -11):
1st Place – Alfie Cooper Brass
2nd Place: Eco Committee at Torriano Primary School
3rd Place: Isabel Page and Amity Kirkland
JUNIOR HEROES (AGES 12-17):
1st Place – Ava Lang
2nd Place: Eva Roberts
3rd Place: Aoife Bindman
LOCAL LEADERS (AGES 18+):
1st Place – Jane Riddiford (Global Generation)
2nd Place: iRecycle
3rd Place: Transition Kentish Town
Thanks to our 2021 sponsors and prize givers: