The Camden Eco Champion Awards have been created to celebrate the residents of our Borough who go above and beyond to protect our environment.
These awards seek to reward the ecological achievements of anyone in Camden. They aim to highlight those that are committed to creating positive change, and show that any initiative, however small or large, should be rewarded and celebrated. Our hope is to inspire the next generation of eco-conscious citizens, by giving them the confidence to engage with environmental issues and use their voices to kickstart change.
How to enter?
- Complete the application form at the bottom of this page to nominate somebody for the Camden Eco Champion Awards. The more evidence and information you provide, including photos, videos, and testimonials, the better. Your content will be extensively featured on our social media and will appear in a special Camdener podcast.
- You can nominate anybody who you believe should be rewarded for their environmental efforts. There is no limit to how many people you can nominate, but you will need to complete a separate application for each.
- You cannot nominate yourself.
- The deadline to apply is Sunday 21 November at 23:59.
- The aim of this competition is to reward those who already go above and beyond to protect the environment, but new projects and efforts are welcome too!
- All work can be run individually or as a team. Please apply only once if registering a team.
- For younger children, it is ok to get a little help from adults when necessary, but the bulk of the work must have been completed by the applicant.
Examples of Eco Champion behaviour to get you thinking:
MINI WARRIORS (Aged 5 to 11):
JUNIOR HEROES (Aged 12 to 17):
LOCAL LEADERS (Aged 18+):
- Started a recycling project.
- Reduced food waste by starting a compost or gardening project.
- Convinced others to give up single-use plastics.
- Collected rubbish from a public space.
- Encouraged wildlife by building a bug hotel or planting some wildflowers.
- Built a wormery with recycled materials.
- Hosted a talk about Fast Fashion or sustainable travel at school.
- Set up an eco-quiz to fundraise.
- Created an eco-group at your school.
- Started a meat-free Monday movement.
- Collected rubbish from a public space in your free time.
- Campaigned against idling.
- Reduced the use of plastic at your home or at school.
- Actively took part in petitions and engage with local government-sponsored eco-work.
- Campaigned for Healthy School Streets or Low Traffic Neighbourhoods in your area.
- Promoted sustainable travel by starting a walking bus covering your child/children’s school(s).
- Requested more cycle lanes, parklets, and other sustainable infrastructure.
How will it be judged?
The applicants will be judged by a panel of independent judges who will be responsible for selecting 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place within each category. Our judges are:
There will be three separate and parallel competitions, judged by the same criteria. One for primary school children, one for teenagers and one for adults.
Every judge will mark the applicants out of 25 for each of the 4 criteria (impact, resourcefulness, creativity, sustainability of resources and materials) giving them a maximum possible score of 100. Each judge will also have a bonus 10 points which they may or may not award to one applicant for ‘Boldest Move’ if they choose to do so.
The judges will mark the applicants independently, and then Camden Clean Air will calculate the average points of each applicant, to establish their final score.
|Resourcefulness (do more with less)||25|
|Sustainability of resources/materials||25|
|BONUS: Boldest move||10|
The winners will be announced no later than Monday 29th of November. All applicants will be emailed to be told of the results. The three winners in each category will be invited to a ceremony on Saturday 4th of December from 10:30 am at the Roundhouse Bar & Café to receive their prizes and have their photos taken by local and London-wide news. See the list of prizes below (many more being added all the time).
MINI WARRIORS (Aged 5 to 11):
- Kentish Town City Farm tour. KTCF is the UK’s first City Farm, founded in 1972. It is a much loved charity based in the Borough of Camden offering lifelong learning, outdoor therapy, education to children, adults with special needs and anyone needing respite from the strains of urban life. This is a VIP tour for up to 6 friends and family, which includes meeting the animals up close and having afternoon tea in the farm’s gardens.
- Experience Days gift certificate. An open-ended gift certificate to the value of £50, which can be used at checkout to purchase any experience on the Experience Days website. The winner can spend a maximum of £50 or decide to add extra funds, if they choose to go on a more expensive adventure. Some ideas are a speedboat adventure on the Thames, one of many kids cookery classes or a cruise with Shrek!
- Four tickets to Little Dinosaurs indoor play centre AND Four tickets to any show at the Little Angel Theatre. Little Dinosaurs is lovely indoor play centre which, along with its garden enclosure and activities, is a great place to bring the kids all year round. You can get together with friends for a delicious breakfast or lunch, meet other parents, or just enjoy a coffee. The kids can play leaving you free to chat and enjoy. The four tickets equal four entries for one child each (or any other combination). Parents do not need a ticket to accompany a child at a session. Little Angel Theatre is the home of puppetry. Since opening in 1961 the theatre has been dedicated to innovative theatre, from igniting the imaginations of the youngest minds to equipping tomorrow’s puppeteers with the tools they need to succeed. As well as an internationally recognised theatre with productions touring throughout the UK and across the globe, Little Angel Theatre also has its roots in Islington, and works with its local, diverse community to break down barriers to arts engagement so all can benefit and enjoy this remarkable art form.
JUNIOR HEROES (Aged 12 to 17):
- YouTube Tutorial! As part of your prize, you will win one hour with a YouTube specialist, who will be fully dedicated to you for a whole 60 minutes. Whether you want to grow your channel or level up your content, they can give you expert advice. Plus you’ll also get a YouTube goodie bag!
- The Ultimate Goodie Bag from Arc’teryx & Cloud 9. If you are a keen sports person, this is the ultimate goodie bag. It includes amazing bobble and trucker hats, the most technical underlay and a pair of arctic gloves from Canadian firm Arc’teryx, which is founded on the idea that there is always a better way and has a detailed long-term plan on sustainability. But not just that! It also comes with cycling glasses, socks, cap and other essential accessories for your cycle rides, kindly donated by Cloud 9, a well-known independent bicycle shop specialising in handmade custom-built frames, as well as servicing.
- Six tickets for one hour bowling at Rowans Tenpin Bowl Finsbury Park. There’s nothing quite like Rowans when you want to get into real American retro-style 10-pin bowling for all the family at North London’s Finsbury Park. Rowans bowling means two floors of non-stop, round-the-clock entertainment featuring 24 fully air-conditioned bowling lanes, 14 pool tables, amusement arcades and giant overhead sports screens. And they do birthday parties too! Rowans have generously donated one bowling lane for one hour, and for 6 persons to bowl. This does not include Friday and Saturday nights after 6pm, or Bank Holidays.
LOCAL LEADERS (Aged 18+):
- Airbubbl air-cleaning device by AirLabs. The Airbubbl removes 95% of airborne pollutants and pathogens. Research shows that the air inside vehicles can be more than two-and-a-half times more polluted than outside. Easily attached to most headrests, AirBubbl offers protection from many health risks, including airborne coronavirus. It removes pollutants including PM2.5, PM10 nitrogen dioxide (NO2), ozone (O3) and Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and floods the vehicle with more than 30,000 litres of clean air every hour.
- Four standing tickets to any Jazz Café show. The Jazz Café is one of London’s most iconic live music venues, where some of the world’s biggest acts perform alongside local talents and rising stars. Shows are held seven nights a week, in an intimate, two-floored setting. Expect to hear the finest live jazz, funk, soul, Latin, hip hop, reggae and more every night.
- A whole 500 free minutes on any Tier Mobility Scooter. TIER Mobility is Europe’s leading provider of micro-mobility and is on a mission to change mobility for good. Founded in 2018, Tier is now operating in Camden, as well as more than other 145 cities in 16 countries across Europe and the Middle East. As part of its drive to make it easier for people to live without a private car, TIER offers e-scooters, e-bikes and e-mopeds among its growing suite of multimodal options, and integrates with over 40 different public transport providers.
- A whopping £250 worth of Lime e-bike/scooter credits. Lime is founded on a simple idea that all communities deserve access to smart, affordable mobility. Through the equitable distribution of shared scooters, bikes and transit vehicles, Lime aim to reduce dependence on personal automobiles for short distance transportation and leave future generations with a cleaner, healthier planet. Lime has very kindly offered a £250 credit, together with a tour of one of their London warehouses to give the winner direct experience of their holistic focus on sustainability (and how it can be replicated in other industries).
- A whole week of cargo bike hire from London Green Cycles. For an entire week you and your family will be able to roam around London in a roomy cargo bike, kindly offered for hire by London Green Cycles, a small bike shop that dreams of a city where we are free to move independently and safely. An environment we can enjoy and admire. A good health we can appreciate. Get a bike and you’re on the right path.
To complete the application form please click on the button below. You will receive a confirmation email within 48 hours of submitting your application.
Thanks to our sponsors and prize givers: