The Camden Eco Champion Awards have been created to celebrate the residents of our Borough who go above and beyond to protect our environment.
These awards seek to reward the ecological achievements of anyone in Camden. They aim to highlight those that are committed to creating positive change, and show that any initiative, however small or large, should be rewarded and celebrated. Our hope is to inspire the next generation of eco-conscious citizens, by giving them the confidence to engage with environmental issues and use their voices to kickstart change.
How to enter?
- Complete the application form at the bottom of this page to nominate somebody for the Camden Eco Champion Awards. The more evidence and information you provide, including photos, videos, and testimonials, the better.
- You can nominate anybody who you believe should be rewarded for their environmental efforts. There is no limit to how many people you can nominate, but you will need to complete a separate application for each.
- You cannot nominate yourself.
- The deadline to apply is Sunday 21st November at 23:59.
- The aim of this competition is to reward those who already go above and beyond to protect the environment, but new projects and efforts are welcome too!
- Please note that all work needs to be run individually and not as a team.
- For younger children, it is ok to get a little help from adults when necessary, but the bulk of the work must have been completed by the applicant.
Examples of Eco Champion behaviour to get you thinking:
MINI WARRIORS (Aged 5 to 11):
JUNIOR HEROES (Aged 12 to 17):
LOCAL LEADERS (Aged 18+):
- Started a recycling project.
- Reduced food waste by starting a compost or gardening project.
- Convinced others to give up single-use plastics.
- Collected rubbish from a public space.
- Encouraged wildlife by building a bug hotel or planting some wildflowers.
- Built a wormery with recycled materials.
- Hosted a talk about Fast Fashion or sustainable travel at school.
- Set up an eco-quiz to fundraise.
- Created an eco-group at your school.
- Started a meat-free Monday movement.
- Collected rubbish from a public space in your free time.
- Campaigned against idling.
- Reduced the use of plastic at your home or at school.
- Actively took part in petitions and engage with local government-sponsored eco-work.
- Campaigned for Healthy School Streets or Low Traffic Neighbourhoods in your area.
- Promoted sustainable travel by starting a walking bus covering your child/children’s school(s).
- Requested more cycle lanes, parklets, and other sustainable infrastructure.
How will it be judged?
The applicants will be judged by a panel of independent judges who will be responsible for selecting 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place within each catagory. These judges are:
There will be three separate and parallel competitions, judged by the same criteria. One for primary school children, one for each of the three age groups.
Every judge will mark the applicants out of 25 for each of the 4 categories (impact, resourcefulness, creativity, sustainability of resources and materials) giving them a maximum possible score of 100. Each judge will also have a bonus 10 points which they may or may not award to one applicant for ‘Boldest Move’ if they choose to do so.
The judges will mark the applicants independently, and then Camden Clean Air will calculate the average points of each applicant, to establish their final score.
|Resourcefulness (do more with less)||25|
|Sustainability of resources/materials||25|
|BONUS: Boldest move||10|
The winners will be announced no later than Monday 29th of November. All applicants will be emailed to be told of the results. The three winners in each category will be invited to a ceremony on Saturday 4th of December at 10 am [Venue TBC] to receive their prizes and have their photos taken by local and London-wide news. The Mayor of Camden will also be there to help award the winners. See the list of prizes below (many more TBA).
- YOUTUBE TUTORIAL! As part of your prize, you will win one hour with a YouTube specialist. Whether you want to grow your channel or level up your content, they can give you expert advice. Plus you’ll also get a YouTube goodie bag!