Site Loader

The Borough of Camden is located in Inner London and is situated approximately 1.4 miles (2.3 km) north of Charing Cross.

Here are some things that you might not know about the Borough:

  • The name of Camden

The London Borough of Camden took the place of the prior metropolitan boroughs of Hampstead, Holborn, and St Pancras. Its name was derived from the first Earl Camden, Charles Pratt, who initiated the construction of Camden Town back in 1791.

However, it wasn’t always a sure thing that the new borough was to be called Camden. It was pointed out that the name Camden was only representative of one small area within a borough stretching from Hampstead and Highgate in the north, to Holborn in the south.

  • Amazing foods and colourful streets

Camden is famous for their delicious foods. June Carroll opened the first food stall in Camden Market in 1974, which was popularly known as ‘The Stall’. Not to mention, prior to this, Carroll had won bronze for Great Britain in the 1952 Helsinki Olympics and then later achieved a silver medal in Melbourne four years later.

Camden is also famous for it’s colourful streets.  All across the city from Chelsea to Notting Hill to Camden, there are brightly painted homes and buildings that add a splash of colour to the city that was once known as The Big Smoke.

  • Filled with different museums

Camden has the most museums compared to other London Boroughs. The majority of the 13 establishments located on Museum Mile are situated within Camden. Other favoured attractions in the area comprise the London Canal Museum, Keats House, Freud Museum, and the former residence of Erno Goldfinger at 2 Willow Road.

  • Filled with different individuals with various ethnicities

Recent studies shows that, the population of Camden is primarily composed of individuals identifying as white, accounting for 60% of the population, while the remaining 40% of the population comprises non-white minorities.

It’s quite fitting that the borough was named after Charles Pratt, 1st Earl of Camden, given his political views. As a politician, Pratt advocated for mediation instead of military action during the American War of Independence. This may be why many Americans choose to reside in Camden.

  • About the council emblem

At first glance, Camden’s logo design appears to be a friendly reminder for locals to take out their recycling bins.

Initially, a coat of arms was created for Camden that combined the symbols of the boroughs it replaced and included an elephant from the Marquess Camden’s arms. However, in 1965, a heraldic coat was deemed too conventional, and a more progressive logo was suggested. The current logo features eight interconnected hands, symbolizing voting, giving, receiving, and unity. Which is quite different from what it appears to be at first glance.

  • Largest listed building in London

Camden boasts a significant number of over 5,600 listed buildings, which vary in age, type, and architectural styles. These listed buildings in Camden span a broad range, from the 11th-century St Pancras Old Church to the 1970s-era Alexandra Road Estate.

  • Many celebrities lived here

Primrose Hill is renowned for the hill that overlooks Regent’s Park and offers spectacular views of the city on a clear day. However, the adjacent area is most famous for its famous inhabitants. During the 90s and 2000s, the region was populated by a group of celebrities known as “The Primrose Hill Set,” including model Kate Moss, actor Jude Law, and Sadie Frost, his then-wife.

The group often gathered at Supernova Heights, the home of Noel Gallagher from the band Oasis. Although many of the original members have since moved away, the neighbourhood has maintained its status as a popular spot for celebrities. Over the years, Primrose Hill has been home to several notable figures, such as Jamie and Jools Oliver, Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin, Rachel Weisz, Daniel Craig, Nick Grimshaw, Rita Ora, Richard Madden, Claire Foy, Jenna Coleman, James Norton, Amber Heard, David Walliams, Lily James, Stefano Gabbana, and Harry Styles.

Did any of these surprise you? Let us know below!


Londonist. (2016). Things You Never Knew About The Borough Of Camden. [online] Available at:

Hughes, S. (2022). Pretty London village celebrities love that’s so posh locals feel out of place. [online] MyLondon. Available at:

Post Author: Georgina McGivern